The Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) Region Board of the IEEE Communications Society is organizing a diverse panel of industry professionals (telecom operators, manufacturers, app developers etc..) to provide valuable feedback on student research. Students will present their work to panellists by means of tele-conference, where panellists will judge student work based on industry interest, real problems, existing standards (e.g. 3GPP, ETSI ZSM, ETSI ENI etc..), etc. This opportunity will provide students with “real feedback” from prominent industry members and enable them to adapt their work to the current and future needs of the market.
- Any PhD and Master candidates with research topics in any of the IEEE ComSoc areas
- Applicants should be residents of and carry out their research work in the EMEA region
- Each applicant can only submit ONE application to the EMEA Board before the deadline.
- The EMEA Board will select the student participants from the eligible proposal applications.
- Students who are selected to participate will be given a free IEEE student membership and a free ComSoc membership for 2021 based on ranking, and limited to the budget allocated.
Mode of panel discussions
- Students briefly present their current work (5-7min max)
- Panellists provide feedback and guide the students on their work
- Applicant’s short biography (max 1 A4 page)
- A brief proposal (max 1 A4 page) of their current research work/topic focusing on the problem statement, methodology, and anticipated outcome.
- The cover page should contain the applicant’s name, affiliation, address, telephone, and e-mail
Important dates for 2020
- 20th of November 2020: Closing date for Submissions
- 25th of November 2020: Announcement of Selected students
- 1st -20th of December 2020 Panels organization
The IEEE ComSoc EMEA Region board in collaboration with the 5GSolutions EC funded project organizes on the 23rd of September from 10:00 to 12:00 Central European Time a virtual panel (via MS Teams) on “Not just phone calls and messages where new telecommunication technologies (5G) are hiding?” with panelists from Industry and Academia (See attached flyer here)
Luis Miguel Contreras Murillo – Telefónica
Baruch Altman – LiveU
Yash Shekhawat – NeuroGames
Vergantini Ilaria – ENEL X e-mobility
Carlos Natalino da Silva – Univ. of Chalmers
Andrea Di Giglio (TIM & 5GSolutions Project Coordinator)
Christos Verikoukis (CTTC & IEEE ComSoc EMEA Director)
Registration is free of charge in the following link:
The MS Team link will be send to the registered people the afternoon before the meeting.
The Apirl 2020 issue of the IEEE ComSoc Global Communications Newsletter (GCN) is out and can be accessed here.
DLT Talk by Prof. Gaurav Sharma: ““Probabilistic Decoding in Communications and Bioinformatics: A Turbo Approach”
April, 21st 2020. 15:00 – 16:30 Spanish Time (GMT+1)
For more details, please visit: http://spcom.ieeespain.org/
The IEEE ComSoc School Series is designed for ComSoc student members who study communications and related areas. The ComSoc School Series program covers fundamental, advanced and hot topics in communications and features lectures by international experts, poster presentations, site visits, and hands-on demos. The typical duration of an IEEE ComSoc School Series event is 4 to 5 days.
For the 2021 edition of IEEE ComSoc School Series, we need your help in deciding on a location, date, and program. We invite you to submit a proposal for the 2021 edition of the IEEE ComSoc School Series here.
It is a hard period for Italy due to COVID-19 outbreak, and the scientific community of telecommunications, represented by IEEE Italy Joing ComSoc/VTS Chapter, Consorzio Nazionale Universitario per le Telecomunicazioni (CNIT) and Gruppo Nazionale delle Telecomunicazioni e Tecnologie dell’Informazione (GTTI), decided to offer specifically to young members the possibility to meet, even though virtually, some of the most representative figures of the tlc sector and to learn from them about emerging and future technologies.
Thanks to this initiative, it will be possible to learn the vision of the experts on the future of communication, which are the hottest technologies and most relevant challenges in the future.
The initiative was endorsed with enthusiasm by several experts in the field, which gave their availability to offer free online webinars (around 45 minutes) on topics including quantum communications, ICT sustainability, and others. Participants will be exposed to the most revolutionary ideas and find interesting issues to study and analyze, but also to interact and communicate, helping to ease the restrictions due to the current isolation period.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Jaafar Elmirghani (Univ. of Leeds, UK) “ICT Sustainability”, April 3rd at 11:00am (Rome time)
- Lajos Hanzo (Univ. of Southampton, UK) “Quantum Communications”, April 3rd at 3:00pm (Rome time)
- Ashutosh Dutta (IEEE Future Networks Founding Co-Chair) “IEEE Future Networks Roadmap”, April 7, 2pm (Rome time)
- Frank Fitzek (TU Dresden, 5G Labs Germany) “5G Rules, who needs 6G?”, April 14, 2pm (Rome time)
This virtual event will take place online in the period between April 1st and 15th, 2020. Participants will get access information by registering to the event. The event will be presented entirely in English. The detailed program will be available here.
Participation is free for everyone registered through the online registration form. Participants are invited to perform a voluntary donation for Italian Civil Protection – EMERGENZA CORONAVIRUS. More information can be found here.
Info: Fabrizio Granelli (firstname.lastname@example.org)
As part of the Distinguished Lecturer Talks (DLT), we welcome Prof. Octavia Dobre, Professor and research Chair at Memorial University in Canada. The talk will take place on March 23, 2020 from 12:00-1:00pm at Qaboos University in Oman. More information on the talk can be found here .
It is a pleasure to announce that the EMEA chapter of year award was given to the Macedonia section. Congratulations.
The EMEA Regional Congress for Chapter Chair (RCCC) 2018, has been held in Abu-Dhabi, UAE. More than 20 chapters were presents. Very fruitful discussions, for more info.